Thursday, August 26, 2010

Brave New World Part 2

I know what you're thinking, and yes, I did steal this title from one of the greatest episodes of Boy Meets World, and no, I'm not ashamed of that. The "Part 2" has no significance other than the fact that the episode was one of those "to be continued..." deals, and the second half was better.

Oh yeah, also, I'm flying to Africa today. 8 months, 2 bags, and room to spare! I've heard that less is more when travelling to Africa, so I figured I'd test out that theory. Honestly though, I feel like I'm bringing plenty.

I've told quite a few of you about the little hop, skip, and jump that my volunteer partner, Michael Jaeger, and I will be doing, but I figure it's worth one more review in case anyone wants to know:

It begins at 3:39pm today
MSP to Chicago.
Chicago to Frankfurt, Germany. (first time in Europe)
Frankfurt to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. (first time in Africa)
Addis to Kilimanjaro, northern Tanzania.
Kilimanjaro to Dar es Salaam, eastern Tanzania at 3:15am (EAT- 8 hrs ahead?) Saturday
*Oh yeah, then we still have the 12ish (I've heard it can be quite a bit longer) hour bus ride across the country to Hanga, our destination, in the Southwest corner of the country.

I'm figuring my two flying experiences and 1 abroad experience has prepared me well enough for it all...

Finally, before I head off to my little Brave New World, I have to reflect on how lucky I am. I wish I could have said goodbye to everyone in person, but I will be back before I know it. I was constantly reminded this summer how phenomenal my loved ones are. I am truly surrounded by the best friends and family I could ask for, and I have just had so many blessings in my life, including this unique and challenging experience ahead.

Since my love for Boy Meets World is almost equalled by my love for quotes, I'll combine them:

As the wise teacher(/neighbor/mentor/principal/professor...) Mr. Feeny told his students at the end of the very last show (Brave New World Part 2, what a coincidence),

"Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do GOOD."

4 comments:

  1. Alec,

    Brave New World is also the title of a book by Huxley. It's often compared to George Orwell's 1984 (future negative utopia society). A good read when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alec,

    Brave New World is right! I'm sure the cast of Boy Meets World would be happy to know that they are still greatly appreciated (yet clearly still under-utilized) by our generation. I hope that your long journey is a safe one! Have fun and we will miss you! DREAM BIG! Half-heart!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Al,

    Best of luck! As Red Green once said "I'm pulling for you, we're on in this together!" He was more my childhood watching.

    -Jer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Bob- I know, that was sort of supposed to be humorous...and I do want to read it :)

    Ashley- *Dream too big! And thanks!

    Jer- Thinking of you buddy, you travel safely!

    ReplyDelete